Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Critical Reflection #5: Aboriginal Stereotypes

Reflection Paper 5

            In our last class, we had a workshop about Aboriginal issues in the classroom, followed by a presentation about Aboriginal stereotypes. I found both lectures well- timed and they presented many problems with ignorance towards Native Americans. However, I felt they did not provide tools to overcome these issues. I understand it is impossible to completely overcome such obstacles, but I don’t feel any more comfortable when discussing the topic and it would have been helpful to hear facts about Native American culture. The presenters stated that this is an uncomfortable topic for some due to people being generally uneducated. I am not familiar with Aboriginal history or culture and in fact, this class is the first time I have ever really discussed Native Americans during school. For these reasons, I have decided to reflect on my peer’s presentation on Aboriginal stereotypes. Many clips were shown of Native American stereotypes in popular television shows and comedians using these stereotypes in their material. He also showed clips of Native Americans who are in the entertainment industry expressing their views on how their culture is misrepresented in the media. I found these clips presented contradictory ideas.
            For over a hundred years, Westerns and documentaries have shaped the public's perception of Native people. The wise elder (Little Big Man); the drunk (Tom Sawyer); the Indian princess (Pocahontas); the loyal sidekick (Tonto)—these images have become engrained in the consciousness of every North American. “(Common Portrayals of Aboriginal People, 2010).
            This statement reflects the common discourse surrounding Native Americans as society has socially constructed their opinions through what is portrayed in the media. I myself have believed these stereotypes strictly because my only knowledge of Aboriginals was formed through what I have seen and heard. During the presentation, a part that was particularly eye- opening was when the ‘Seinfeld’ clip was played. I have seen this episode many times but I never put into perspective how strongly the clip reinforces negative stereotypes. Other clips shown had interviews with Native Americans who felt insulted by how the media portrays them. One woman mentioned that “Americans never cared to tell the real story of the Natives.” From what I gathered, the message of the presentation was to inform the class about existing Aboriginal stereotypes. Yet, one minute we are all laughing at these stereotypes, and the next we are supposed to feel sympathy for their culture? I felt that the true message of the presentation was distorted as the clips produced opposite ideas.
Although I did not find the presentation very informative, it was useful in that I am able to now recognize my lack of education on Aboriginal people. I think we need to look at educators to improve their own knowledge of ALL cultures in order to reduce and prevent racialization and intolerance in the classroom.  I’m glad that at least now, in my 3rd year of post-secondary, I can be informed on the importance of learning and understanding Native American culture. This will prevent further reinforcement of stereotypes, ignorance and misunderstanding on my behalf.
References:
(2010). Common portrayals of aboriginal people. Retrieved on November 20th, 2010 from www.media-awareness.ca.
Emma Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment